Top news in Myriad sports this weekend:
- Vitor Belfort
beat Michael Bisping
to end the Englishman’s chances of fighting for the middleweight title for a while. See the MMA wrap
- Top draft picks: Andrew Farrell
) and Zakiya Bywaters
- Few major upsets in the Australian Open so far, with the top four women and top five men in the quarterfinals.
- Lance Armstrong chatted with Oprah. A cynical nation said “Whatever” but watched anyway.
- Lindsey Vonn got her first win in a while but then lost ground in the World Cup standings.
- Arielle Gold won gold in the snowboarding World Championship halfpipe, though the event is being upstaged by the upcoming X Games.
- Heather Richardson had two firsts and two seconds in speedskating World Cup action. Shani Davis had a gold and silver.
- U.S. sliders also got some medals: Bronze in a unique skeleton/bobsled relay (Lolo Jones was involved in that one), a second straight podium finish for Noelle Pikus-Pace, and a third-place finish for Jazmine Fenlator-Aja Evans.
- And we had a first-time U.S. medalist in Taylor Fletcher, third in a Nordic combined World Cup.